Monday, December 1, 2014

Puppy Love


by Pamela Schloesser, copyright 2014

He's cute, he's cuddly

not afraid to touch me

always loves Mommy.  

My son as a toddler.

Lays his head on my chest.

Nothing inappropriate.

Gives sticky hugs without warning,

loves sitting in my lap.

One day that became unaccepted.

 

He grows afraid to hug me.

Is full of smells and dirt;

That doesn't bother him.

I still hug my 12 year old.   

He shrugs. Closeness?  No thanks.

He grew troubled with the years.

I call him to me and he balks.

Years of awkward hesitant hugs,

distant in family photos.  


He's cute and cuddly,

jumps in my lap.

Forever a toddler,

never to grow up.

Loves being touched.

Always will.  Never unaccepted.

His puppy head rests on my chest,

always cute, never outgrown.

Onlookers, they just smile. 


My forever toddler,

the canine family member;

he finds him troublesome.  

It wants and gives affection.

I just eat it up.

He stays distant.

Until that long car ride.

Both tired and napping,

Dog's head resting on his lap.  

 

Canine love.   Bridges the gulf between us.

Doggone!  I knew he had it in him. Love.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment